Skip to main content

LIFE SENTENCE

The mood in the room was tense.I could feel an air of apprehension looming in.My eyes never shared a look.My lugubrious expression revealed the inner self.I couched in a corner of the room.People moving in and out seemed to be the order of that room.Some stood back.Some just observed me from a distance.I could feel a thousand glares.I pulled my shawl over my shoulders.I was feeling cold in a packed room where ventillation was minimal.Biological responses to an onerous situation.Words never reached me,but the buzz did and it penetrated my senses like the drill.Their thoughts were readable.What will be the verdict?Will she be convicted?

Did they expect an answer?

My defence was over and I knew how it would turn out.All these while,I had been preparing myself to digest the decision.Suddenly silence swished in.Everybody got up like keyed toys.I struggled hard to stand on my feet.A sense of nullity.

I sighed.A heavy sigh.Once more.Still the heaviness within, lasted.

The Judge came and took his chair and the proceedings began.I stood in the box.Patience and fear mixed in proportion is a potion which wipes out sensitvity.I had drunk it beyond the prescribed amount and felt dizzy.I tightly held on to the rails for support.The Judge was delivering the verdict.I could just collect a few words here and there.

"Dereliction of duty...wasted whole time...watched T.V...played computer games...slept all while...exceeded the limits...does not know what it means to study daily portions...worked least,partied most..."

He went on.

"studied only on the night before examination...ideas packed off into short term memory...points lifted from market notes...plagiarism...reading summary of summary of huge novels...injustice to literature..."

He continued.

"and still wants high mark."By now,I knew his tone suggested hard times ahead.I turned immune to the sounds and sights around, engulfed in thoughts of 'anyway I gotta live'.
And then I heard what I had been waiting for.What I had been never hoping for.
"Thus, she stands convicted.I sentence her to 12 years of struggle.No good job,No promising future,No dreams,No hopes,No ...No...No....."
A Life Sentence.
All the Nos stabbed me a million times into a swoon.

I heard a bell ringing somewhere.I was still alive.The sound became more audible.It was ringing straight into my ears.

I opened my eyes.Switched off the alarm.The room was empty.

Comments

  1. I don't have the heart to go through it a second time and make a stylistic analysis like i used to do for ur other posts...have been dreading this 'life sentence' right from sem 1...u r not alone if that gives u any consolation

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to know dt dre is company,bt still...i feel each one of us is alone in this so called battle..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That man is my father

Dear Reader, If you have time to spare, spend it with me for a while...I know it is a bit long..Hope I don't bore you..It wudn interest u, I should say..After all, why should u know all these things..Well,lemme make it clear..I don mind if u dont join me here either..I am used to it..being all alone..n I hav no complains.                                                                      luv,                                                                              Chinnu a.k.a M alavika I looked at the mirror that had stains and specks of dirt uniformly spread on it. May be, no one had ever cleaned it. They remained with time, but the reflections changed. I looked at myself in the mirror.I was looking a bit tired.The pimple on my forehead was red and swollen."Arrgh...i jus hated it" I tried to cover it with my fringes. But it did not work.I ran my fingers over my face.Atleast the light pink nail polish on my nails looked good. I just stared at the mirror. Somet

A Valentine's Day note!

  As I sit and sip my milk coffee in a hotel somewhere in the centre of mainland India, I switch on my thinking self. Yeah, I often do that, maybe I even overwork on that mode. But it is unusually working at this hour. Today is February 14th. Oh I know what your expression must have been (Ohhh is it???? We didn t know!!!). Hmm...that day of the year to flaunt your lover, declare your love and what not. Valentine's Day for me in all its glory has always disappointed. No lover, no roses, no gifts, nothing. Thanks to the person I am. Maybe I put across myself as a very boring person. Sighs apart, I don't know if I am one. The truth stares at me from the cream walls. I have never celebrated a Valentine's Day not because my ideology considers it anti national but for the simple truth that I never had one. I ask myself, So? I don't know what is biting me at the moment. Is it that today is Valentine's day or I have nobody to wish one or something else. I know, I have to w

I am a Femist

"Now listen ma, I am going to be a femist. No I am already a femist." Suchita sounded serious. Tears had already collected in the corners of her eyes. Anita did not lift her eyes from the book which she was reading. Bringing up a kid was not at all easy. "Ma...did you heard what I said?" Anita was quick to correct her daughter this time,"Look Suchi, it is did you hear..did you hear what I said." Anita looked at her seven year old daughter. An editor by profession, Anita could never tolerate a grammatical error.It struck her immediately like a wrong note in the octave. (Rude joke:Editors always search for mistakes) "Ok...did you hear?"Suchita had her hands on her hips. Anita found her seven year old daughter extremely cute. Her hair looked unruly. She looked wild, but aren't tiger cubs a delight to watch. "Did you...did you hear?" she tried changing the tone since the initial question did not fetch her an answer. "Suchi..