Skip to main content

Only If I Could



The smile on her face was still the same, as I had seen her on my 7th birthday.  But the red lipstick had lost its glow and the fair skin looked a bit tanned. It was not the red glowing sun that had baked her brown as she had been indoors for more than a dozen years. It was the dust and years of negligence. I had once shared my childhood with her. The red saree with its golden spots carefully spun had given bright colours to my dreams I had woven on yarns of childhood games. She looked like a bride in her bright red saree celebrating life with golden bangles, tingling the bell of festivity. She smelt of jasmine.
          Now, her beauty is a blurred reflection of the past. The bangles are broken and red saree has faded. She now smells of kerosene that I had once accidentally spilled on her. Her smile did not elicit a smile from me. But I was tempted to pick her up from my closet. There she lay for seventeen years, uncared and ignored among a disorganized collection of possessions that I had grown up with.
          My girl! She was angelic and humane. Her hair flew in the blowing wind and her slender fingers lay still on my palm. Years had played truant on her colours but not her plastic being. Those sparkling eyes had seen me play, those ears had heard my childhood whims. I fed her, slept with her, bathe her, loved her, scolded her and had thrown her away in wild fits of childish frenzies. Still, those eyes never shed a tear. An epitome of patience, I sensed in her.
          Only if I could breathe life into her, I could hear her speak now. But once I used to hear her unmeasured words that sounded like drops of rain that fell on my window sills; her chuckles and our giggles. Not anymore. But I dare not look into her blue eyes and question the silence for she will continue to smile at me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That man is my father

Dear Reader, If you have time to spare, spend it with me for a while...I know it is a bit long..Hope I don't bore you..It wudn interest u, I should say..After all, why should u know all these things..Well,lemme make it clear..I don mind if u dont join me here either..I am used to it..being all alone..n I hav no complains.                                                                      luv,                                                                              Chinnu a.k.a M alavika I looked at the mirror that had stains and specks of dirt uniformly spread on it. May be, no one had ever cleaned it. They remained with time, but the reflections changed. I looked at myself in the mirror.I was looking a bit tired.The pimple on my forehead was red and swollen."Arrgh...i jus hated it" I tried to cover it with my fringes. But it did not work.I ran my fingers over my face.Atleast the light pink nail polish on my nails looked good. I just stared at the mirror. Somet

I am a Femist

"Now listen ma, I am going to be a femist. No I am already a femist." Suchita sounded serious. Tears had already collected in the corners of her eyes. Anita did not lift her eyes from the book which she was reading. Bringing up a kid was not at all easy. "Ma...did you heard what I said?" Anita was quick to correct her daughter this time,"Look Suchi, it is did you hear..did you hear what I said." Anita looked at her seven year old daughter. An editor by profession, Anita could never tolerate a grammatical error.It struck her immediately like a wrong note in the octave. (Rude joke:Editors always search for mistakes) "Ok...did you hear?"Suchita had her hands on her hips. Anita found her seven year old daughter extremely cute. Her hair looked unruly. She looked wild, but aren't tiger cubs a delight to watch. "Did you...did you hear?" she tried changing the tone since the initial question did not fetch her an answer. "Suchi..

"Until we meet again"

One Two Three,they came and I lost my count. All in an embrace brown and blue with a band of white. I clutched my ring But missed the caress. The waves faded into the waves But I had no shoulder to rest. The vastness ahead swallowed my tears and echoed from a distant land "Until we meet again."