Skip to main content

Rain Rain Come Again

Shriya was very impatient today.She somehow wanted to run into the courtyard and play in the rain.I could not understand what fun she could get out of it.We were already late for Karthi's reception.By the way,where is my husband who always promises to be on time but keeps us waiting for atleast half an hour.Should I phone him?
"Ammu, why are you standing outside?" my father-in-law sounded like a typical man of seventy."Raju will be on his way." Parents have a strange way of supporting their children.
I was sure that he would be still in the office wondering how to promote the sales and what plans to implement.
"Shriya...you are gonna get from me.You'll catch fever,girl...and listen, you gonna spoil your dress." This was usual.My father-in-law telling me something.I scolding Shriya in quick succession.
How fast life becomes dull and monotonous.
"Ammu,did Jaya call?Will Bhama and Suresh come today evening?"the deep voice of my mother-in-law came in through the front door.I held tight on the grilled bars of the door.Drops of rain fell on my fingers.I withdrew my hand.I did not want to get wet.Shriya put her hands through the bars and reached out to the rain which caressed her."When you return,buy two packets of milk.If they come,we will give them tea and some snacks."As if they were coming to eat our snacks.
"Shriya...stop it i said"I pulled Shriya's hands through the bars and pushed her aside.The raindrops she had splashed on my face shone like some un-named precious metal.Thank God that my make up is waterproof.I just dried my face with the handkerchief."Shriya stay back",but Shriya was by the door in a second.I once again arranged the pallu of my saree.
Tring Tring   Tring Tring   Tring Tring.I heard my father-in-law attend the call."Ok...ok...They are ready...ok..."
"Ammu,Raju will reach in five minutes.He asked you to stand near the gate." My father-in-law passed the message.I felt happy for a moment."Ok Appa...Amma see you...bye...Shriya tell Appooppa and Ammoomma bye."
At the party,I can see my friends.What all things have we got to say in two hours.I am looking pretty in my green saree.My Shriya is also a darling.Raju too...
Before my thoughts could travel any further,I saw my little darling out in the rain.God I had opened the door.Like a caged bird set free, she celebrated freedom in the rain.Her fluffy pink frock got wet in spots.The spots connected in minutes and before long,she was fully wet.Aarrrghh!!!! Fully wet.
"Shriya...Shriya..." I called out loud.
Dance,dance the rain was louder.
"What is this girl doing? Getting herself wet in the rain", my mother-in-law was the loudest.
I unfurled the black umbrella.I was fuming within.Shriya looked like an angel in the rain.Innocence of a four year old made her hip, hop and dance to the unheard tunes of a melodious beat.She jumped with her hands spread wide like a bird ready for a flight.Her cream sandals looked brown.
Like a warrior, I marched into the battlefield.I had to cross three puddles and escape myself from two splahes Shriya had directed towards me.What is this girl doing,running around in the rain?
I thought Shriya was lucky enough to escape my hand's reach or else I would have smacked her.
I caught hold of her hands.Drops of water on my hands.Sense of touch.
"Amma..we'll play"Shriya pleaded.
Drops of water on my back.Sense of touch.
I had never played in the rain.Born and brought up in the four walls of a flat,rain was a phenomenon I loved watching from my room through the glassed windows.
Is there fun?
I did not give myself time to think.
I don't know why but I felt like doing it.I tilted my umbrella slowly.The angle got bigger and bigger.
I had submitted myself to the Rain.
They touched my head,my nose,my face,my lips.They hugged me.I coulf feel their embrace.I could see them,hear them,smell them,touch them.This is Rain.
Rain Rain come Again
And caress me again.
Don't go away.
We want to play.
To a girl within me who only knew  "Rain Rain go away,Come again another day,Little Johny wants to play" this was a surprise.But to the women in me,with Shriya hugging me tight around my legs,this was an emotion.
After all these years,I could finally feel rain.Yes! Feel Rain
I raised Shriya into the air.Squeals,Giggles and laughter.These are little pleasures of life that my daughter will treasure forever.
I could hear a horn at the gate. I could hear my mother-in-law shouting something.
I was reminded of Roger Miller's lines.
Some people feel the rain...Others just get wet.

Comments

  1. Farah....:)
    I felt the rain, through your words.

    "They touched my head,my nose,my face,my lips.They hugged me.I coulf feel their embrace.I could see them,hear them,smell them,touch them.This is Rain.''

    this is rain, indeed..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done girl....At different times, I have fell into both these categories...To feel rain is special. To get wet in the rain too is fun...Good attempt...and that too in simple words.I have noticed ur use of simple words....Highly appreciated....Readable style....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Neetha...thanks girl:)) gud to kno dt words cd convey d feel f rain...
    @Liza...aha...to sm1 who has experienced both,this must hav been smthn totally different..nywas happy to kno dt u njoyd it...:) thanx dear..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Liza.. based on that particular moment, we may see it either as rain or just getting wet... nice post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That man is my father

Dear Reader, If you have time to spare, spend it with me for a while...I know it is a bit long..Hope I don't bore you..It wudn interest u, I should say..After all, why should u know all these things..Well,lemme make it clear..I don mind if u dont join me here either..I am used to it..being all alone..n I hav no complains.                                                                      luv,                                                                              Chinnu a.k.a M alavika I looked at the mirror that had stains and specks of dirt uniformly spread on it. May be, no one had ever cleaned it. They remained with time, but the reflections changed. I looked at myself in the mirror.I was looking a bit tired.The pimple on my forehead was red and swollen."Arrgh...i jus hated it" I tried to cover it with my fringes. But it did not work.I ran my fingers over my face.Atleast the light pink nail polish on my nails looked good. I just stared at the mirror. Somet

A Valentine's Day note!

  As I sit and sip my milk coffee in a hotel somewhere in the centre of mainland India, I switch on my thinking self. Yeah, I often do that, maybe I even overwork on that mode. But it is unusually working at this hour. Today is February 14th. Oh I know what your expression must have been (Ohhh is it???? We didn t know!!!). Hmm...that day of the year to flaunt your lover, declare your love and what not. Valentine's Day for me in all its glory has always disappointed. No lover, no roses, no gifts, nothing. Thanks to the person I am. Maybe I put across myself as a very boring person. Sighs apart, I don't know if I am one. The truth stares at me from the cream walls. I have never celebrated a Valentine's Day not because my ideology considers it anti national but for the simple truth that I never had one. I ask myself, So? I don't know what is biting me at the moment. Is it that today is Valentine's day or I have nobody to wish one or something else. I know, I have to w

I am a Femist

"Now listen ma, I am going to be a femist. No I am already a femist." Suchita sounded serious. Tears had already collected in the corners of her eyes. Anita did not lift her eyes from the book which she was reading. Bringing up a kid was not at all easy. "Ma...did you heard what I said?" Anita was quick to correct her daughter this time,"Look Suchi, it is did you hear..did you hear what I said." Anita looked at her seven year old daughter. An editor by profession, Anita could never tolerate a grammatical error.It struck her immediately like a wrong note in the octave. (Rude joke:Editors always search for mistakes) "Ok...did you hear?"Suchita had her hands on her hips. Anita found her seven year old daughter extremely cute. Her hair looked unruly. She looked wild, but aren't tiger cubs a delight to watch. "Did you...did you hear?" she tried changing the tone since the initial question did not fetch her an answer. "Suchi..